Millions of Sydney residents who live or work in Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and the City of Sydney have been locked down from 11.59pm tonight for a week until Saturday July 3.

Gladys Berejiklian imposed the draconian stay-at-home orders on Friday morning after the state recorded 11 new local Covid-19 cases with a further 17 to be included in tomorrow’s numbers. 

Six of the eleven cases recorded on Friday were mentioned on Thursday night, meaning there are 22 cases that have not been revealed before.  

Residents and visitors to the Eastern suburbs continue to get tested for COVID-19 at St Vincent’s Hospital pop-up testing clinic at Bondi Beach in Sydney on Friday

The lockdown applies to residents who live or have worked part-time or full-time in the hotspot suburbs (pictured) in the past two weeks 

What are the lockdown rules? 

From 11:59 tonight, people who live or have worked part-time or full time in the past two weeks in Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and the City of Sydney will only be able to leave home for:

Work if you can’t work from homeExercise in groups of 10 or less outdoorsEducation if it can’t be done from homeTo buy essential goods or servicesTo provide essential care to someone  

Non-essential businesses in those areas will be shut down for the next week. Restaurants can supply take-away food.

Full list of exposure sites is here  

All of the new cases are linked to others except for three including a nine-year-old school student.

The lockdown applies to residents who live or have worked part-time or full-time in the hotspot suburbs in the past two weeks.

They are only allowed outside for work, education, essential shopping, care-giving and exercise in groups of ten or less. 

‘If you live or work in those Local Government Areas, you need to stay at home unless absolutely necessary,’ Ms Berejiklian said. 

Non-essential businesses in those areas will be shut down for the next week. Restaurants can supply take-away food. 

Other residents in Greater Sydney will have to wear masks indoors and limit household visitors to five until Saturday July 3. 

Residents who live or work in the City of Sydney, Waverley, Randwick, Canada Bay, Inner West, Bayside, and Woollahra local government areas cannot travel outside metropolitan Sydney for non-essential reasons. 

Ms Berejiklian warned the lockdown could be extended to more suburbs if required.

‘There will be things that come up in the next little while that none of us had anticipated and we will have to react and respond. 

‘We are not ever going to pretend that what we have in place is enough, or what we have in place is perfect,’ she said.

Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant explained why millions of residents who work in the CBD but do not live in hotspot suburbs have been locked down.

‘The rationale for including the stay-at-home order to follow the workers is because we know that many of the workers do live outside those geographical LGAs.

‘We want them to follow those stay-at-home orders so we don’t establish seeding in Western Sydney and southwestern Sydney,’ she said. 

Dr Chant described the lockdown as a ‘circuit-breaker’.

She warned that ‘case numbers are going to increase’ but expected them to be among people already in isolation who pose ‘no ongoing risk’. 

The five new cases reported on Friday are a man in his 30s, a woman in her 30s, and their child who are household contacts of each other from Sydney’s eastern suburbs; a woman in her 80s from Sydney’s eastern suburbs; and a man in his 20s from the Sutherland Shire who is a close contact of a previously reported case and has been isolating while infectious. 

Sydney’s latest outbreak, which has led to mandated mask-wearing indoors, is believed to have been sparked by a limo driver who was unvaccinated and not wearing an N95 mask when he collected flight crew two weeks ago.

Where have new cases emerged? 

Of the 11 locally acquired cases reported to 8pm Thursday night, six cases were already announced on Thursday. They are:

· A man in his 30s who attended the Christo’s Pizzeria in Paddington at the same time as a previously reported case.

· Three women who are close contacts of a previously reported case who works as a hairdresser at a Double Bay hair salon. All have been in isolation while infectious.

· A man in his 40s who is linked to the West Hoxton birthday party, attended by previously reported cases linked to the Bondi cluster. As of 8pm last night, a total of 17 people who attended the party have now tested positive for COVID-19.

· A man in his 40s from Sydney’s eastern suburbs who is linked to the Bondi cluster.

Five further locally acquired cases were notified to 8pm Thursday night. They are:

· A man in his 30s, a woman in her 30s, and their child who are household contacts of each other from Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

· A woman in her 80s from Sydney’s eastern suburbs.

· A man in his 20s from the Sutherland Shire who is a close contact of a previously reported case and has been isolating while infectious.

17 locally acquired cases were notified overnight. 

These cases will be included in tomorrow’s numbers. 14 of these cases are linked to known cases, and 3 cases are under investigation

Sydneysiders queue outside a vaccination centre on June 24 as they wait to get their jabs

Aaron Henderson-Smith, Emergency Nurse, conducts a COVID-19 swab test at the Rushcutters Bay mobile covid testing clinic on June 25

The New South Wales government was reportedly warned about the dangers of taxi drivers transporting flight crew from Sydney Airport four months ago but did not tighten health regulations.  

Under a state public health order, international arrivals are not allowed to take ride share vehicles, public transport or taxis – but the order does not apply to flight crew. 

A New South Wales Transport Workers Union official raised the issue with NSW Health but was told ‘the airlines are in charge’, a source told The Australian.

The rules state that airlines must organise ‘appropriate transportation’ to take foreign crew to government quarantine and crew who live locally to their homes.  

Jon Bailey’s hair salon in Double Bay is deep cleaned on Thursday due to the outbreak 

The driver, who is in his 60s, said he was scared of blood clots – an extremely rare side effect of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is only recommended in Australia for people over the age of 60. 

He told A Current Affair that he had a family history of blood clots and was not an anti-vaxxer.

But Health Minister Brad Hazzard said there was ‘no excuse’ because he could have got the Pfizer vaccine due to his front-line role. 

The minister has upgraded health orders which kick in at 4pm on Friday to force workers relating to quarantine and transport at Sydney international airport to wear masks or face six months in prison.   

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said vaccines were available and it was the state government’s responsibility to require them.

‘The doses were available and on this case that worker was not vaccinated and the NSW Premier has made it very clear that they’re investigating into how that occurred,’ he said in Parliament on Thursday. 

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said police believe they cannot take any action against the man because there was no requirement for him to be vaccinated.

But he told 2GB radio host Ben Fordham that officers are seeking ‘legal advice’ to see if there is any way to punish him. 

‘We have sent the case for urgent outside legal advice and have done that due to the significance of this outbreak and the community concern.

‘We need to tick every box in terms of making sure whether he has or hasn’t definitively breached the Public Health Orders,’ he said. 

It comes as thousands more Sydneysiders risk being plunged into isolation after patients visited dozens of busy venues spanning 17 suburbs, from the east to the North Shore and a busy shopping centre in the city’s west. 

Limo driver in his 60s claims he was not vaccinated as he was scared

This is the limo driver who caught the virus from international air crew and spread it around Sydney without realising

‘He is very scared and concerned,’ revealed A Current Affair reporter, Lauren Golman, who interviewed the driver on Thursday night.

‘He’s been receiving a lot of criticism and he is worried about his safety and his family safety.’

The unnamed driver is in isolation as he fights his Covid infection and was too ill and too scared of the public backlash to show his face onscreen to defend himself.

But Golman told host Tracy Grimshaw he admitted he had avoided getting the AstraZeneca vaccination for fear of the possible side effects.

‘He is over the age of 60 which means he is eligible for the AstraZeneca vaccine,’ Golman said.

‘He tells me he has a family history of blood clots and he didn’t feel comfortable getting the vaccine.

‘He says he has been working with his doctor, they talk regularly, they tried to come up with a plan but at this stage he is too afraid to have the AstraZeneca vaccine.’

But Health Minister Brad Hazzard said there was ‘no excuse’ because he could have got the Pfizer vaccine due to his front-line role. 

Although the driver was in an apparently high-risk occupation on the frontline with international workers, vaccination was not mandatory, but strongly recommended.

There was no explanation why he hadn’t been vaccinated with the Pfizer jab instead, but Golman stressed the driver was not an anti-vaxxer.

Golman added: ‘He has not received any kind of pressure or encouragement to have the vaccine. I’m not sure if he has had conversations with his employer.’ 

In a late night drop of new exposure sites on Thursday, NSW Health put alerts out for a host of new venues including a Kmart, Domino’s Pizza and several popular coffee shops.

Another shock came as coronavirus fragments were found in a Bourke sewage treatment plant, 750km away from Sydney in the far north-west of NSW, where there has never been a single known case.

The wastewater finding indicates the virus may have already escaped the NSW capital and has somehow reached vulnerable outback areas.

Meanwhile, in scenes reminiscent of the first wave of Covid in March 2020, Coles and Woolworths’ shelves across Sydney have once again been stripped bare of loo roll.

Neither of the supermarkets have re-introduced buying limits on toilet paper, but frustrated shoppers have called out others for stockpiling.  

A total of 181 exposure sites have been announced in Greater Sydney since the latest outbreak began, bringing in a raft of new restrictions (pictured, commuters in masks on Thursday)

This terrifying map shows the 17 suburbs announced as having Covid exposure sites in a worrying late night drop on Thursday

Officials announced 11 new cases of the highly-infectious Indian Delta strain on Thursday, bringing the total number of infections linked to the Bondi cluster up to 36 – with several more lingering mystery cases.

Since the outbreak began last week, 181 exposure sites have been added to the burgeoning list – 33 of which were added on Thursday night alone in suburbs sprawling right across Australia’s largest city.

Covid-infected residents have been on 23 public transport routes, and anyone who visited one of 53 venues across Sydney over the past few days has been told to get a test and isolate immediately, regardless of the result.

In the surprise late night announcement just after 11pm, authorities demanded anyone who has visited a series of cafes, restaurants and gyms across Bondi, Potts Point, Darlinghurst and Alexandria contact NSW Health immediately, get tested and isolate for 14 days even if the test is negative.

Anyone who dined at Coffee, Tea & Me in Potts Point or who visited the pool or the change rooms at the Elixr Health Club in Bondi Junction on Sunday has been told to do the same.

Likewise, diners in the inner west who went to Cantine Verte Café or The Pommery Cafe in Alexandra on Monday has been given the same advice.

In Bondi, people who went to Elixr Health Club but did not go to the change rooms or the pool have been told to isolate until a negative test is returned.

Anyone who visited in Westfield Paramatta (pictured) on Wednesday has been told to isolate until they test negative after the shop was visited by an infected person

Commuters are seen wearing face masks as they arrive at Circular Quay by ferry on Thursday, as the number of Covid cases grew by 11 in Sydney

The same advice goes for anyone who went to Harry’s Bondi, Bondi Relish, La Piadina, Lyfe Cafe, Royal Hotel, Fitness First Platinum or Fitness First on Spring Street in the beachside suburb on Sunday or Monday.

In the west, anyone who went to Amart Furniture in Bankstown on Sunday, Domino’s Pizza or Big Bun in Merrylands on Monday, or Kmart in Westfield Paramatta on Wednesday has been told to isolate until they test negative.

Further south, shoppers who went to Crossroads Homemaker Centre in Casula on Sunday has been told to stay at home for 14 days until they get a negative test, or if they went to Gregory Hills Town Centre, in the city’s south-west. 

An exposure site was also added in North Sydney, with anyone who visited Priceline Pharmacy on Walker Street on Monday told to isolate until testing negative. 

Famed Sydney salon boss Joh Bailey warned more than 1,000 customers and staff at his flagship outlet in Double Bay have been exposed to coronavirus by an infected hairdresser.

It was initially revealed that the hairdresser, who lives in western Sydney, worked three consecutive nine-hour shifts at the salon from Thursday June 17 to Saturday June 19.

But in a another worrying development on Thursday night, NSW Health announced that the salon had been exposed to coronavirus for nine full days – from the moment it opened to the second it closed – between June 15 and June 23. 

Skin Medi Spa and Wellness, in the same complex is under a similar order with anyone who visited from Wednesday June 16 to 23 Wednesday – at all times – urged to isolate and get tested immediately.

Famed Sydney salon boss Joh Bailey warned more than 1,000 customers and staff at his flagship outlet in Double Bay have been exposed to coronavirus by an infected hairdresser (pictured, former WAG Phoebe Burgess at the salon earlier this week)

In the west, anyone who went to Amart Furniture in Bankstown on Sunday, Domino’s Pizza (pictured) or Big Bun in Merrylands on Monday has also been told to get tested

HUGE COVID EXPOSURE LIST REVEALED THURSDAY NIGHT

NSW Health says anyone who attended the following venues at the times listed is a close contact and must immediately get tested and isolate for 14 days, regardless of the result, and call 1800 943 553 

Potts Point: Coffee, Tea & Me (dine in customers ) – Sunday June 20, 9.50am – 10.10am 

Bondi Junction: Elixr Health Club (patrons in the swimming area, poolside showers and poolside change rooms) – Sunday June 20, 2.45pm – 3.45pm

Alexandria: Cantine Verte Café  – Monday June 21, 9.20am – 9.35am and Tuesday June 22, 8am – 8.15am  

Alexandria: The Pommery Café  – Monday June 21, 2.30pm – 3pm 

Double Bay: Joh Bailey hairdresser – Tuesday June 15 to June 16, any time

Double Bay: SKIIN Medi Spa & Wellness – Wednesday June 16 to 23, any time

Bondi: Lyfe Cafe – Wednesday June 16, 12.30pm – 2.25pm

Bondi: Royal Hotel – Monday June 21, 9.45am – 11.45am

Double Bay: Michel’s Charcuterie – Tuesday June 22, 1.30pm – 2pm

Bondi Junction: Fitness First on Spring Street – Tuesday June 22, 5.45pm – 6.45pm

Darlinghurst: Frankie’s Beans shop – Monday June 21, 10am – 11am and 1pm – 2pm

Darlinghurst: Vinfafe Cafe – Tuesday June 22, 3.05pm – 3.45pm 

Anyone who attended any of the following venues at the times listed is a casual contact and must immediately get tested and self-isolate until a negative result is received

Potts Point: Coffee, Tea & Me (takeaway customers ) – Sunday June 20, 9.50am – 10.10am

Casula: Crossroads Homemaker Centre – Sunday June 20, 1.30pm – 2.30pm

Bankstown: Amart Furniture – Sunday June 20, 2.30pm – 3.05pm

Gregory Hills: Gregory Hills town centre – Sunday June 20, 3.30pm – 4.35pm

Bondi Junction: Elixr Health Club – Sunday 20 June 20, 2.45pm – 3.45pm

Double Bay: Michael’s Charcuterie – Monday June 21, 11am – 1pm

Randwick: Mr Vitamins – Monday June 21, 2.20pm – 2.50pm

Bondi: Totti’s Restaurant – Sunday June 20, 7.50pm – 9.30pm 

Bondi Beach: Harry’s Bondi – Monday June 21, 1.50pm – 2.20pm

Bondi Beach: Bondi Relish  – Monday June 21, 2.35pm – 3.05pm

Bondi Beach: La Piadina  – Monday June 21, 2.40pm – 3.10pm

Vaucluse: Wings Dragon – Monday June 21, 3.10pm – 3.40pm

Alexandria: Industrial complex at 32 Ralph Street – Monday 21 June, 8.30am – 5.30pm and Tuesday June 22, 8am – 12.45pm

North Sydney: Priceline Pharmacy, Monday June 21, 4.50pm – 5.15pm

Merrylands: Domino’s Pizza – Monday June 21, 6.20pm – 6.50pm

Merrylands: Big Bun – Monday June 21, 6.50pm – 7.10pm

East Sydney: Woolworths – Tuesday June 22, 8am – 12.45pm

Kensington: 7-Eleven – Tuesday June 22, 12.40pm – 1.20pm

Parramatta: Kmart Westfield Parramatta Shopping Centre – Wednesday June 23, 11.50am – 12.10pm

Rouse Hill: TerryWhite Chemmart – Monday June 21, 11.05am – 11.15am

Full list of exposure sites is here 



Source link