Victoria records zero local cases of coronavirus as the state fights to contain a growing outbreak in hotel quarantine brought in by Australian Open players and coaches
Victoria has gone 13 days without a locally acquired case of coronavirus as the state battles an outbreak in hotel quarantine brought in by Australian Open players and coaches.
There were four new infections recorded in hotel quarantine on Tuesday morning after 15,574 tests were conducted in the past 24 hours. There are 34 active cases across Victoria.
It is unclear if the four cases in hotel quarantine are linked to the contingent of tennis players and support staff who have arrived in Melbourne ahead of the Australian Open on February 8.
Six people, including a player, have tested positive to the virus so far.
Italian tennis player Simone Bolelli and Argentinian Tennis player Maximo Gonzalez are escorted to their training session in Melbourne on Monday ahead of the Australian Open
The infections have forced 72 Australian Open players into a hard quarantine, unable to leave their hotel rooms for 14 days.
‘People are free to provide lists of demands but the answer is no,’ Premier Daniel Andrews said of Djokovic’s letter.
Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton has warned the virus could still be incubating in some of the 1200 people who have arrived in Melbourne for the Open since Thursday.
Cases have been linked to three flights, from Abu Dhabi, Doha and Los Angeles.
‘People may still turn positive, obviously the last exposure was when they last left their country of origin or indeed on a flight where there was a case,’ Professor Sutton said.
‘So there might be some more positives in coming days but that that will take place over time.’
Meanwhile, 25 of Sydney’s 35 local government areas were downgraded from ‘red’ to ‘orange’ zones at 6pm on Monday as part of Victoria’s ‘traffic light’ permit system.
More to come
Share or comment on this article: